Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Monday, May 17, 2010

Time Heals

After medication adjustments, time, and a weekend of DOCNA agility with Glitterbug, I am feeling much better about Thor and me.  Glitter received a qualifying score and first place in the North America Challenge class earning her a bye to Nationals to be held at Sugar Bush Farm in October.  I'll wait to decide about entering until I see how our season is going.  But there is hope for her yet!

This past Saturday, I drove with Thor to Granby to volunteer at SoBAD's agility trial.  Since Glitter was not entered, I though it was a good opportunity to introduce Thor to the trial environment.  Turns out, I had the wrong date.  Trial is NEXT weekend!  Meanwhile, Thor was stressed in the car, chewed up a second EZ Walk harness despite the fact that it had been soaked overnight in Bitter Yuck, drip dried, and squirted in his mouth ahead of time.  He also chewed his blanket, something he NEVER does in his crate at home, which is how I know it was stress chewing and not simply opportunity.  I think I'll have to work on "stays" in his crate and offering his head through the harness so that he won't need to wear it in the car.  Also, need to take him on more short car rides so that he acclimates.

No comments:

Post a Comment