Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Name Game

Before playing any of the previously discussed "recall" games, I will play The Name Game.  I had suggested this game to Thor's previous owners, and he knew his name well long before he was in my home.

The Name Game: 

I start with the dog near me where he cannot/will not wander.  I say his name and immediately (within 3 seconds) give a food treat.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  I want a dog who, when he hears his name, looks at me and starts moving in my direction.  And I want the response to be instantaneous.  Dog trainer Leslie McDevitt calls this a "whiplash turn."  I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment