Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sticks & Stones

Thor's love of sticks is second only to his love of balls.  Stones run a distant third, and broken bricks are better.  I've removed the racquetballs for now; he was starting to chew them open and I was afraid of swallowed pieces.  I need to go shopping.

With the balls gone, Thor is carrying sticks.  A few days ago, I was sitting at the top of my deck steps watching Thor run.  He had a rather large stick in his mouth.  Before I had a chance to react, he ran straight toward the steps.  There was room next to me for the dog to get by, but not the stick.  Dogs only judge their body width...no accomodation for a stick.  So my shoulder got slammed into as if I were the bull in a bullfight.  And I try so hard to be Ferdinand! 

__________________________________________________________________________________

I have never shared my home with a dog as large or as smelly as Thor.  I change his bedding daily, wipe him down with pre-moistened pet wipes, and still it is hard to keep up.  Yesterday, I moved his crate to vaccuum and wash the kitchen floor.  While I was down on my hands and knees, Thor brought me the toilet brush and then the bathroom sponge;  I swear he was trying to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment