Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Sunday, February 7, 2010

Housetraining Update

I swear Thor understands that he is supposed to pee and poop outside.  He always whines (increasing to barking if I'm not quick enough) when he needs to go out.  On Friday (two days ago) I was in the shower when he started to whine.  I hurried to get out, dry off, and get dressed, but it was too late; Thor had peed in his crate (no bedding).  But I am convinced that he did not want to do that; he had TRIED to alert me!  I was able to get a urine sample which I dropped off Friday morning.  Being the weekend, I won't have results until tomorrow but have my fingers crossed.  I'm hoping there IS an infection so that he can go on antibiotics, and I'll be able to finish housetraining him in short order.

Yesterday, Glitter and I went to Albany to play in the Capital District Agility Fun League.  I have a couple of friends there who are more familiar with weimaraners than I.  One of them brought me the March issue of Dog World which features the breed.  Very helpful.  I was also told that male weims are slow to mature and, as a result, can be slow to housetrain.  Kind of like little (human) boys!  So, if there is no infection, I may just have to wait for his bladder to mature.  I can deal with that.  As long as I know there will come an end to this (almost) constant peeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment