Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Sunday, February 28, 2010

Those Who Wait

Thor is learning that "all good things come to those who wait."

When we go outside and again when we come in, I have been having Thor sit while I put on/take off my boots.  That's pretty routine now.  So I've upped my criteria.  He now has to stay sitting while I open the door, waiting for my release.  I started by simply putting my hand on the doorknob.  If he remained sitting, he got a treat and we went outside.  If he got up, we simply tried again.  Next step was to open the door while he remained sitting.  Just a crack at first.  Again, stay sitting, get a treat.  Get up, the door closes and we start over.  When we progressed to the door opening fully, I slipped my fingers through his collar to ensure success.  This morning, he stayed sitting with door fully open and no fingers!  His reward for staying put is sometimes a food treat and always a release to go outside.  A bonus to this game is that Thor is beginning to understand a verbal release ("okay"). 

No comments:

Post a Comment