Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Monday, February 1, 2010

Piddle Progress

No accidents the past two nights.  In fact, Thor went about 6 hours each night without needing to pee (despite the fact that I took him out; I'm not taking any chances). 

When we go outside, he piddles right away if he needs to.  If Glitter is out though, she's too distracting.  Thor would rather play than piddle!  I've been trying to take him out alone.

Once he has relieved himself, it's exercise time.  Because I can't run, here is what we've devised.  I walk back and forth in a line about 10-15 feet long.  Thor races past me to the edge of the yard where there's a fence.  I turn around to walk my little distance and Thor races past me and up the HP ramp to the back door.  We repeat this as many times as possible.  Until it gets too cold to be out any longer!  So Thor is covering about 80 feet to my 12ish.  It's a good arrangement and one I'm very glad we were able to develop.  I do have to keep walking though.  If I stop, Thor comes and sits at my side.  A nice thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment