Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Saturday, January 30, 2010

Nights

Nights and days run into each other as I'm taking Thor out every 1-2 hours during the day, every 2-3 hours at night.  Insomnia when I try to sleep.  Last night was different.  Thor was quiet from 9pm until I got up at 4am.  He had urinated in his crate.  So...the question is, did he make a ruckus and I, somehow, slept through it?  Or did he not say he needed to go out?  He's been so good about indicating his needs that it seems unlikely he would have stayed quiet and just peed.  On the other hand, am I really soooo tired that I would sleep through his barking.  The mystery will remain...

While I was waiting for the bleached crate to dry, I took Thor outside (where he peed again), and we did some training.  He is very good at sitting on cue.  So I asked him to sit and then took 2 steps.  He got up.  Two steps was too much.  I moved just my upper body.  Thor jumped up on me.  Still too much.  Okay, so I handfed him (in a sit) while moving my upper body.  Success!  Within 5 minutes, I could move my upper body while he sat and then received his reward.  Something to build on.  Smart boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment