Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Another Romp

Another day in the snor with Thor. When I first started working with him, he was ALWAYS in front of me. Although I wanted him at my side, I thought it was more important to treat him for something, anything, so that he learned that I was a source of Good Stuff. Next, he was racing past me, granted we were heading in the same direction but he wasn't paying me any heed. No matter, at least he wasn't barging into me or jumping on me anymore! But he got no treats for that, just the joy of running. Today, when I turned my back to walk away from him, he ran up and stopped next to me!!! Treat treat treat! That was repeated multiple times. He also is beginning to target my hand, something I started teaching on day one but it didn't "click" right away.

I've cleared a spot in my kitchen for his Great Big Heavy Huge crate! It will fit!! I expect him to come live with me next week. I wanted to wait because I have agility events both days this upcoming weekend and don't want to leave him for that long yet. I'm excited and also fearful about having Thor in my house...

No comments:

Post a Comment