Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Tuesday, January 26, 2010

All Is Forgotten

Dogs do not generalize well.  The fact that I had trained Thor to sit, come, and keep his feet off me didn't mean he would have those skills when he moved to my house.  I hadn't really thought about that.  But, lo and behold, when he arrived here, he had returned to a wild man, unable to pay attention or remember anything!  That was my theory because it is TRUE that dogs do not generalize well!

Today, Thor will sit on cue.  I didn't retrain it.  My new theory is that yesterday he was under too much stress to be able to behave the way I wanted.  By today, he was feeling more comfortable and, thus, able to focus.  I'll need to remember that stress can cause memory loss!

We've had no housetraining accidents.  Yippee!

Glitter and Thor are playing together.  Racing around the yard (and digging up my poor grass).  Thor has a tendency to use his front feet like a boxer, and Glitter doesn't like that.  But she lets him know when he's starting to get too rough.  Of the two, Glitter actually seems to have more energy!

Thor is very respectful of Vada who will be 16 years old in June.  He goes slowly up to her and likes to sniff her, but he is very gentle with her.  He knows.

Thank goodness for a January thaw and high temps these few days.  I'm dreading the return to cold.  We are spending a lot of time outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment