Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Monday, January 25, 2010

Arrival!

Thor is expected to arrive at my house today!!  I went over this morning and grabbed a stool sample.  Now I'm waiting for the vet to not call so I'll know it is clear. 

Glitterbug and I had two days of agility over the weekend so I haven't been to see Thor.  I'll try to play with him before I bring him here.  I hope to keep him tired enough that, in the house, he sleeps!

My first priority will be housetraining.  I've set up a smaller crate than he is used to which I'll use until he outgrows it.  I'm planning trips outside every half hour for pottying and play.

My second "first" priority  is to teach Thor that jumping on people is not acceptable. He loves people (a good thing) but he knocks down small children and doesn't yet understand that he will get more attention if he behaves calmly. I have been ignoring all jumping (not easy to do!) and giving Thor food treats when his feet are on the ground. I have been successful outdoors where he no longer jumps on me but that hasn't translated to indoors or to other people.
I am also rewarding Thor (with food) for choosing to sit instead of jump. He is doing quite well with this concept.
Thor has been introduced to the clicker but it hasn't quite "clicked" for him. I am now using it to mark behaviors I like and hope that he will soon associate the sound with treat delivery.


If you listen carefully, you will hear a bit of dread in my voice!  This will be quite an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment