Baby Thor

Baby Thor

Training Thor

In January 2010, Thor, a 5-month-old weimaraner, came crashing into my life.



Here, I will outline the steps taken to train him to be a well-mannered dog,

to do agility, and to perform some service dog tasks.



At five months, he is pretty wild.











Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Importance of Balls

The weimaraner is historically a hunting dog known for his soft mouth.  Right from the start, I was amazed at how gentle Thor is when taking treats from my hands. 

There is a bin of balls (racquetball & tennis balls) that sits in my backyard.  In her youth, Vada would retrieve (after the behavior had been taught with a clicker). Glitterbug will chase balls that I throw but will not bring them back.  Both dogs have always ignored the bin unless I initiate a game. 

Yesterday, Thor discovered the ball bin!  Now, when he goes outside, he goes straight to the bin and gets a ball.  He carries the ball proudly around the yard, even while peeing, and likes to shake "kill" it.  If I take the ball to throw for him, he will chase it but doesn't want me to take it again.  So for now, I am simply praising him for carrying it and, more importantly, allowing him to keep the ball when he comes to me after being called.  That's a hard one for him; he hasn't quite learned to trust that he can get near me without losing his precious ball.  But he is learning.  I do take it away when we come back in the house as I don't want him to chew it up and risk swallowing pieces.  He lets go very well but I can tell he is disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment